Participants will be introduced to the technologies, considerations, and core concepts involved in building a modern website with HTML. Participants will be taken on a guided hands-on tour to learn the basics of the HyperText Markup Language (HTML) to publish content to the web.
- Understand at a high level the interaction between devices connected to the internet and their relationship to servers, websites, domain names and URLs
- Be able to read and write HTML documents
- Basic computer literacy – understanding of how to use an Operating System (either Windows, Mac or Linux) and a Web Browser.
- File manipulation and organization
- Naming conventions
- A computer / laptop able to run a modern web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, IE9+), and text editor.
- An Internet connection is extremely helpful, though not mandatory.
- Web browser
- Basic text editor (such as Notepad on PC or TextEdit on Mac)
- Sublime Text
Topics to be Covered
Introduction to HTML
- What is HTML? How does it work?
- The <!doctype> declaration
- The four variations of HTML tags
- open and closing tags
- Void (self-closing) tags
- open and closing tags with attributes
- Void (self-closing) tags with attributes
- HTML Comments
- Attributes for accessibility
- Review of the technologies and hardware required to make the Internet work
- Linking to other pages and external websites
- Embedding images in Web Pages
- Embedding video from video content sources (ie. YouTube)
- Meta tags and SEO
- Other HTML5 Tags