As a follow-up to the acclaimed Android 101 series, the 12-part Android 201 series will focus on building a full-featured game running on the Android OS. Each week, a new component of the Android SDK will be learned and will be applied to the development of the game.
Participants will be given time to complete their modules in class, and unfinished work will be assigned as homework.
Dates and Times
The Workshops will be held on Monday nights from 6:30 to 9:30pm starting July 22, 2013, ending October 7, 2013.
Participants will emerge from this series having been exposed to the tools necessary to be ready to build full featured Android applications and slay dragons. They will have experience with interfacing with web services, building custom views, building databases, working as a team and much more.
- Some experience with Object Oriented Programming
- Some experience using the Android SDK
- Experience building small scale Android apps
- Basic knowledge of Git version control
- Android Studio
- Android SDK
- Laptop capable of running your favourite IDE for developing Android (IntelliJ, Eclipse)
- minimum of 2GB RAM required
- Netbooks will not be sufficient for this course
- An Android phone or tablet running Android 4.0
- The YMC will have some devices on-hand for testing applications
- Introduction and Version Control for Android Development
- App Navigation
- AsyncTask and HTTP Communication
- 3rd Party Libraries
- Custom Views
- Advanced Layouts
- Working with Databases
- Geolocation / Google Maps Integration
- Social Network Integration
All dates and topics are subject to change.